We know this can be a stressful time for everyone, including patients, providers and support staff and QualDerm Partners is here to support all employees and provide a safe environment.
We would like to share the most recent, updated and accurate information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in regards to the COVID19 a/k/a coronavirus, situation in the United States and encourage you to visit the CDC website (www.cdc.gov), which is constantly being refreshed as the status changes. (#1)
We suggest you review the Fact Sheet below to ensure your understanding is based upon factual knowledge from a trusted scientific resource.(#2)
The following guidance applies to all of us and our patients.
- CDC recommends individuals and families follow everyday preventive measures:
- Voluntary Home Isolation: Stay home when you are sick with respiratory disease symptoms. At the present time, these symptoms are more likely due to influenza or other respiratory viruses than to COVID-19 (coronavirus) related virus.
- Respiratory Etiquette: Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can.
- Hand Hygiene: Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Environmental Health Action: Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects
- Routine use of these measures by individuals and their families will increase community resilience and readiness for responding to an outbreak.
We will be post signage (example language above) at the entrance to all clinics to discourage further entry and check in for those patients exhibiting warning signs of fever or respiratory illness, along with face masks and hand sanitizer to reduce the risk of transmission of any infectious diseases, particularly influenza, which is much more prevalent.
We will remind patients at the time of scheduling and confirming appointments not to present to the Dermatology clinic if they are sick and to reschedule any non-emergent appointment. (phone calls and text reminder system)
We will post the following signage in employee areas and encourage all QDP workers to follow this guidance and stay home if you are sick. (#4,5) Your supervisor will try hard to accommodate flexibility in work hours and functions.
Providers and clinical support staff should always practice universal precautions and utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate. While the risk of a COVID19 encounter is extremely low at present, clinicians who suspect and/or identify a potentially infected individual (PUI = person under investigation for COVID19) should immediately don PPE, place a face mask on the patient, isolate them in a room, and initiate communication with the local or state public health department, which has specific protocols to follow.
Please contact us for other concerns or suggestions.
Dr. John Albertini, CMO & Alan Wenk, COO